Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Yahtzee!


The month of mayhem is done. And to be honest, some of these elements I think I'm going to be carrying with me, as lifestyle adjustments. But not:

40. Shave every day for a month
Sure, sure, it's nice to be relatively clean-cut. Whatever. But do you think I'll be shaving before going in to work tomorrow morning? Unlikely at best. As a "challenge", this was more just a pain.

53. No fast food for a month
Certainly a good money-saver, for sure. When you add in the "no caffeine" bit below, my bank account is downright comfortable. Moreover, this challenge just forced me to actually plan out my week a little better. Go to the grocery store, stock up on food, and so forth. There were a few times I was absolutely jonesing for some tasty Jack In The Box, but alas, willpower prevailed.

76. Bring my lunch to work every day for a week
Likewise, a little planning in advance. Though after a whole week, I got really really tired of the sandwich fixin's I had picked up. There may have been longing, wistful looks at the food court (I will not confirm this). But it wasn't the actual making of the food that bugged me--I would have guessed my bachelor-ness would have rallied against the inconvenience of having to make my lunch the night before. I mean, how domestic can you get?

8. Drink 8 cups of water every day for a month and
30. Stop drinking caffeine for a month
These are the ones I think had the biggest effect on me. A month ago, I would have sworn I needed that Venti Starbucks caffeine infusion, any time I had to be in at work at 8am (or 9am, or 1pm, or 5pm). And true enough, for the first day or two, I think my body had some adjusting to do. But popping a couple aspirin in the morning took care of any caffeine-related headaches, and by about three days, I was completely fine. Especially having a big bottle of water to drink. So I'm not saying I won't ever get Starbucks again or anything drastic like that, but tomorrow morning? My bottle of water will do fine, I think. A whole lot cheaper, a whole lot fewer calories, etc etc.

So with this, I declare five items completed. Pretty satisfying. Other items on the horizon--I've actually been mulling over a plan of action that could finally excise my ancient ISU debt, that's been hanging over my credit report for roughly one eon. That should be fun, if it works. The San Diego Comic-Con will be happening almost certainly this year--airfare and hotel already procured.

Anybody got recommendations for a good non-fiction book for me to read? I have a tendency to prefer history, be it military or otherwise--but I'm not opposed to a good biography or something like that.

5 Comments:

At 3/01/2006 6:19 PM, Blogger cmh said...

You might enjoy Lenin's Tomb by David Remnick. It's a Pulitzer Prize-winning account of the end of Communism in the USSR, and it contains the following priceless quote:

"I'm not sure it is possible to convey just how difficult it is in Russia to acquire a reputation as a drunk."*

* Only slightly paraphrased, because I don't feel like looking it up and the book is all the way over there.

Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything is thick too, but it's a much faster read and it is super amazingly entertaining. Pretty much all of Bill Bryson's stuff is only technically non-fiction. :)

 
At 3/02/2006 6:23 AM, Blogger jen said...

Bryson is definitely a fast entertaining read. Notes from a Small Island made me laugh out loud several times.

If you haven't read James Gleick's biography of Richard Feynman and/or Feynman's memoir-y type books What Do You Care What Other people Think? and Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman, you might like those.

 
At 3/02/2006 6:27 AM, Blogger jen said...

oh, and congrats on the willpower thing. I'm not sure I could have done all of those at the same time.

 
At 3/02/2006 11:19 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Doing 'em all at once actually was easier for me, I think. Particularly the caffeine/water things. I mean, 8 cups of water is a lot of water (and I'm not talkin' paltry 8oz definitions of "cup", either). You spend all your time drinking that much, you don't want to look at other beverages.

I think Lenin's Tomb may be a winner; I read Surely You're Joking ages ago, but the other might be a good way to go.

 
At 3/03/2006 4:16 PM, Blogger cmh said...

You might like The Guns of August, which has its own Wikipedia article.

Also Lies My Teacher Told Me, ditto.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home